Tuesday, October 11, 2005

At home

My routine praying the Rosary works pretty well on weekdays, but I still struggle to find a routine that would work on weekends. Perhaps it's got to do with the fact that I don't have any deliberate routine on weekends, except baking home-made pizza on Saturday and going to Sunday Mass. I haven't tried many new routines, but I've often found myself late in the evening with the Rosary yet to be said.

I've tried walking around the neighborhood in the evening, but it's not too convenient. Particularly negotiating night critters and other "night owls": the former ones creep me out, the latter ones can be spooked by a tall guy coming in their direction...

What seems to have worked fairly well is taking a walk in the greenbelt in the afternoon. It's quiet enough that I don't have to focus so much on where I'm going and so I can lend a bit more of my mind to meditating on the mysteries. But I'll need to give it more tries to see if I settle in this habit.

Praying the Rosary sitting still doesn't quite work for me. Somehow, I can't hold the same position for too long without being overly preoccupied with it. If there's one place where I can say the Rosary in the same position is in church, at least sitting down, but I believe that kneeling too. I guess it's because of how other senses are catered to in a sanctuary: our vision is blessed with holy images and architecture and our hearing enjoys silence, inviting that gentle whisper (1 Kings 19:12).

+JMJ+

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know if this will help you, but it helped me. A friend said she doesn't necessarily say the rosary all at once. She might say a decade while doing dishes, one or two decades while driving, and then finish up sitting in her chair in the evening. I've started following her idea, and it gives me the whole day to say the rosary. (Of course if I'm doing dishes or driving the car, I just say the rosary on my fingers instead of using a rosary.)

October 14, 2005 8:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home