Sunday, October 02, 2005

In the beginning

I can't say I've ever prayed the Rosary before in a regular basis. As a matter of fact, at all only a couple of times before.

Over 15 years ago, I thought I prayed the Rosary daily, or almost. I had bought a Rosary ring but I just said the Pater and the decades of Ave Marias, skipping the introduction, the closing and announcement of the mysteries. The intention was good, but was I misinformed or what? For many reasons, it didn't last for too long.

Fast-forward to 2004 and I find myself yearning for more intimacy with Jesus Christ outside of Sunday Mass. I decided to aquire the habit of praying in the morning.

Believe it or not, it took me over 5 years to notice a small parish in my commute. I decided to stop by, when I found out that it had a pietà in a grotto outside. So, there I found a place and a time to pray every morning. I came back to my old routine of saying the Pater and a decade of Ave Marias.

Soon after, I decided to add a Salve Regina as well, just to find out that I had forgot it. I looked it up in the Internet and printed it small enough to fit in my wallet until I knew it by heart.

After a while of saying these prayers, it started dawning on me that, as I was at it, I might as well pray as so many saints did: the Rosary. I had already collected a few rosaries which had come in the mail, along with panphlets teaching how to pray the Rosary.

It was a Saturday morning when I said a Rosary by myself for the first time in my life. I was using a panphlet which happened to be up to date including the Luminous mysteries and provided related Scripture passages for each mystery, which I'd rotate every Saturday.

Then Lent 2005 came. It was actually the second Lent in my life which I was going to observe. Having a lot to catch up in Catholic traditions, in spite of being a cradle Catholic, since my first observed Lent I've decided to take the opportunity to get a new pious habit. In 2004 was saying grace before meals, especially family meals. In 2005 I figured that praying the Rosary daily would be a worthy goal.

The only question I had was when? I figured that I could pray the Rosary in my commute... Perhaps not the best place or time to pray the Rosary, but neither a bad place nor a bad time.

Of course, the regular beads don't lend themselves to being held along with the wheel. That's when I came across the "memory rosary", which worked pretty well twofold: easy to hold and, as my commute is not so long, I could stop at any point and get back to it later. I had it blessed and was then ready to start.

+JMJ+

4 Comments:

Blogger LC said...

Ah, look at that -- your first post and your very first blog spam. Welcome to St. Blog's! ;-) [BTW -- if you enable word verification for your comments, it should keep that from happening again.]

This is a great premise for a blog, to document your experience with trying to pray the Rosary. I started praying it daily myself not too long ago, and it has been an interesting spiritual adventure. I usually pray it during my commute, too, at least during the week. On weekends, I try to find a more relaxed and quiet time to pray the Rosary. I'm looking forward to reading your future posts!

October 04, 2005 7:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Certainly a good idea to chronicle your
efforts to say the Rosary. Here is Japan
where I live, there is a true story of a
young woman in the persecution whose main job was hiding her Rosary lest she be punished further. For seven years, she concealed it in the top-knot of her hair,
taking it out each night for prayers.
I have met her grandson (120 years later)
and have held the Rosary in my own hand.
Finding time and an opportunity varies from place to place, but few can top her
bravery and ingenuity. I am looking forward to more posts on your Rosary Road. Father Mac

October 05, 2005 8:27 AM  
Anonymous Luis Filidis said...

Your lines really touched my heart, my brother. I'm sure your confirmation godfather is very proud of you. Your blog is a gift. I'll follow your steps, you can be sure. You are such a great man and a great friend!

November 09, 2005 12:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Another tool that helps pray the Rosary anytime is an audio Rosary. You can download all four sets of mysteries here for free. Download them onto your iPod, that way you can pray while you are driving or exercising or doing whatever.

February 27, 2010 10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home