Monday, October 24, 2005

In Order

Wow, it's been a while since my last entry here! I've actually had to contain myself as I set the house in order.

As I said before, I started praying the Rosary including John Paul II's Luminous Mysteries. However, at one point, I started to become intrigued by the order of the Mysteries through the week. Evidently, it's not easy to fit 4 Mysteries in 7 days, particularly when Fridays are reserved for the Sorrowful Mysteries.

The traditional oder follows the chronological order of the events in the life of Jesus Christ: Joyful (Nativity), Sorrowful (Passion) and Glorious (Resurrection), starting on Mondays and again on Thursdays. On Sundays, the Mysteries are alternated according to the Liturgical Calendar: Joyful through Advent, Sorrowful through Lent and Glorious form Easter to Advent. This order makes a lot of sense and is a beatifully ordinated rhythm.

John Paul II's order kept the same sequence starting on Monday, but inserted the Luminous Mysteries on Thursdays, moved the Joyful ones to Saturdays and fixed the Glorious ones on Sundays.

Again, I was intrigued, not annoyed by the different orders. So I decided to give the traditional order a try for a week to see if it would make any difference. After a week, it just felt strange not to meditate on the beautiful Luminous Mysteries. I missed them very much, particularly the miracle at Cana, one of my favorites. I was eager for the next Thursday to come to spend some time along side Mary meditating on Our Lord's public ministry.

The Luminous Mysteries complete the Rosary in a very beautiful way and is the most sacramental of the Mysteries, if anything for including the institution of the Eucharist. May God reward John Paul II, world without end.

+JMJ+

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm also very interested to know the spiritual effects that praying the rosary has for you.

God Bless,

October 25, 2005 10:50 PM  
Blogger Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

For me, Augustine, it was very different. I've been praying the rosary since I was a little girl and so am just not used to the Luminous Mysteries. I tried the new order pretty much the same way you tried the traditional order, and prefer the latter by far.

This is not to say that I now never pray the Luminous Mysteries. I say my daily rosary at night (Joyful Mysteries on Mondays and Thursdays, and so on . . .), but when I have time for a few decades before Mass, I like meditating on the Luminous Mysteries.

November 07, 2005 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home