Tuesday, October 04, 2005

On the road

Fully equipped to then pray the Rosary, I went about it.

I have to say that praying the Rosary didn't change my routine of stopping at that small parish to say my morning prayers. So I figured it'd be better if I prayed the Rosary on my commute back home late in the afternoon, when it's more relaxed.

My commute takes 30min, give or take. However, I found myself getting home with a few beads yet to pray. Granted, I try to mean the words I pray and to turn my mind to the mysteries, at least as much as I can while driving, but I often see people taking as little as 15min to pray the Rosary!

That's when I figured that perhaps the language in which I prayed it might have something to do with my time. My first language is Portuguese and it was just more natural for me to pray a private devotion using the words I had learned since an early age. I gave English a try at the Ave Marias and, lo and behold, I could make it home with a whole Rosary prayed!

Unlike in English, which is mostly monosyllabic, the words in Portuguese, as in other Romance languages, have a few syllables. I found out that a decade in Portuguese took about 7min each, whereas in English, about 5min each. But this is my engineer's approach...

+JMJ+

4 Comments:

Blogger Jesuvera said...

Interesting journal. I mean I've never seen one "on a beginner's experiences praying the Rosary". Am sure to come back to follow this journey more closely.

October 04, 2005 11:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Check out St. Louis de Montfort's book, "The Secret of the Rosary." Very short, and all you need to know about Our Lady's Garland of Roses. May Our Lord's grace reach your through Our Lady.

October 05, 2005 9:07 AM  
Blogger A. Carlton Sallet said...

You may also wish to check out this post by yours truly, also new to the Rosary - and Rosary making!

http://uccatholic.blogspot.com/2005/08/i-make-rosaries-okay.html

October 05, 2005 3:21 PM  
Blogger Augustine said...

Indeed, St. Louis de Monfort's "The Secret of the Rosary" is often highly recommended. I myself haven't read it, but I look forward to it.

+JMJ+

October 08, 2005 12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home